As soon as you know you’re going to be moving overseas, you’ll want to start preparing. You’ll need to apply for various documents, and this can take time. Remember to:
- Apply for a passport, Visa or any other required documents; make sure you have a certified birth certificate.
- Talk to one of our international movers, who can provide you with any documents you’ll need to fill out regarding the packing, shipping and delivery of your possessions.
- Arrange for a temporary place to live when you arrive at your destination. International movers make every attempt to deliver everything on time, but there can be unforeseen delays.
- Decide what you need to take and what you can purchase overseas.
- Obtain travel insurance, health insurance for the country you’re moving to and any other coverage you may need.
Phase Two: A Few Weeks Prior To International Moving
In the final weeks before you leave home, take care of things that aren’t necessarily crucial, but do need to be addressed, including:
- Stop mail delivery from the date of your move onward, cancel or transfer subscriptions, and have mail forwarding put into effect.
- Transfer funds if you are using a bank with branches in your new country. If they don’t, open an overseas account elsewhere.
- Get spare eyeglasses, contacts, prescriptions and any prosthesis, dentures, etc. that may be difficult to replace overseas.
- Confirm your scheduled packing date with your international movers.
- Get a complete physical and any needed immunizations.
- Itemize a list of all possessions our international movers will be packing and transporting for you. If you choose to pack some boxes yourself, please be sure to provide us with an itemized list of everything you’ve packed.
- Get travelers’ checks or currency for your new location
Phase Three: The Final Stages Of International Moving
Once you’re down to the last few days before our international movers come to your home to begin packing, you’ll only have a few more minor details to take care of:
- Double-check your packing list.
- Take photos of any particularly valuable items before they are packed for insurance purposes.
- Pack enough clothes and other essentials for a week overseas in a bag you will take with you. We strive to make international moving simple and efficient, but international movers know that the unexpected can happen.
- On moving day, let Simcoe Moving Canada take care of the details of securing packing your possessions.
- Confirm the destination address and delivery date.
International moving has never been easier! Call 877-810-1047 to talk to one of our experienced international movers today.